The Thompson Free Library is seeking a part-time (25 hours per week) Cataloging Technician to join our friendly, collaborative team. This position will require some evening and weekend hours. Starting pay rate is $13.00 per hour. Benefits include vacation days, sick leave, and holiday pay. The successful candidate will be cooperative, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and comfortable with technology. Thompson Free Library is part of the Maine Balsam Libraries Consortium, which uses open-source Evergreen software as its shared integrated library system.
- Creates access to library resources through copy cataloging and classification: imports bibliographic records, evaluates records for quality, attaches holdings information, assigns subject headings and call numbers.
- Processes new materials for use by patrons; repairs damaged library materials; performs additional collection maintenance activities as needed.
- Works with other Thompson Free Library staff to serve library patrons; provides circulation, reference, readers’ advisory, and technology assistance.
- Engages in professional development; participates in discussions within the Thompson Free Library and Maine Balsam Libraries Consortium about improving library services and cataloging standards/best practices.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; approachable and responsive to patrons’ needs.
- Highly competent with technology; adaptable to new systems and applications.
- Motivated to train for and fill multiple roles within the library.
- Accurate and efficient, with great attention to detail.
- Flexible and organized; capable of managing multiple projects and priorities.
- Eager to help improve the library catalog and cataloging processes.
- Committed to serving the community.
- Previous library work experience; familiarity with library catalogs and integrated library systems.
- General knowledge of bibliographic records (i.e. MARC, RDA) and Dewey Decimal Classification.
Thompson Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for professional references to Thompson Free Library: firstname.lastname@example.org or 186 East Main St, Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426.