Voices from HOME Oral History Project
July 2019 Interview Guide | Theme: Upta Camp
This month, we invite you to share your stories of camp and memories of summertime. Choose a few of these questions to help guide your interview, or come up with questions of your own. Remember, it’s okay to let the conversation flow naturally and lead you to other topics.
- What was a typical summer like growing up? Tell me about your favorite summer memory.
- What vacation stands out the most in your mind? Where did you go and why was it special?
- Tell me about your camp. Do you know the story of how it was built? How did you/your family start coming to vacation here?
- What special memories do you have of camp? Do you have any favorite camp stories?
- Does your family have any special camp traditions? Customs, songs, food?
- What games did you play at camp as a child? Was there storytelling? Music?
- What are/were your camp neighbors like? What kinds of gatherings and events are there?
- What camp keepsakes or mementos do you keep? Why are they valuable to you? What is their history?
- How do you “make memories” of camp for the younger generations?
- What do you think is in the future of your camp?
- Has going Upta Camp influenced other parts of your life?
Voices from HOME: Celebrating, recording, & sharing stories from one generation to the next in the heart of rural Maine.